Clevedon Town move up to seventh place in the table

Morgan Williams.

Morgan Williams. - Credit: Archant

Clevedon Town enjoyed an unbeaten Christmas period with a win and a draw.

Clevedon Town 2

Odd Down 2

Playing their second home game in four days, Clevedon Town took on Odd Down without four of their more experienced players due to injury and unavailability and shared four goals in an entertaining game.

Both sides had early chances, but Clevedon took the lead on 13 minutes. Morgan Davies received the ball in the centre circle and played an exquisite through ball for Lucas Vowles to collect and advance into the box before slipping the ball past Cam Shipway.

You may also want to watch:

The home side doubled the lead in the 38th minute when a long ball found Vowles in acres of space and the youngster calmly beat Shipway to make the score 2-0.

With the home supporters looking forward to their half-time cuppa and a two-goal lead, their hopes were dashed in the second minute of stoppage time. Kye Simpson appeared to have his heels clipped and he went down with the referee immediately pointing to the spot.

Most Read

Asa White beat Damien Freeman and the teams went in with the home side leading by two goals to one.

Soon after the break, the visitors equalised when Simpson cut inside and unleashed a thunderous strike that went in off the bar to give Freeman no chance.

Clevedon created a great chance to re-take the lead in the 75th minute when Tyler Ashmead found Jack Sell, who squared the ball to Morgan Williams, but his miss-hit shot went wide.

Clevedon won a corner on the left on 85 minutes which Kane Ingram swung to the back post where Glen Hayer’s header was cleared off the line.

Neither side could find the winner and both teams had to be satisfied with a point which keeps Clevedon in seventh place and extends their unbeaten run to five games.

Clevedon Town 2

Hengrove Athletic 1

Clevedon Town welcomed Hengrove Athletic to The Everyone Active Stadium for the second time this season following their victory over the visitors in the Somerset Premier Cup and emerged victorious again.

Clevedon were quickest to show and went close through Jack Sell before he scored on 10 minutes.

Clevedon went close to doubling the lead in the 24th minute when Alex Russell set up Tyler Ashmead whose shot was blocked. Sekani Simpson collected the rebound before exchanging passes with Russell and his shot rebound off the post and fall to skipper Clayton Fortune, whose header was cleared off the line.

Hengrove had the opportunity to get back on level terms in the 59th minute when they were awarded a penalty, but Jack Fillingham’s spot kick was well saved by Damien Freeman.

Hengrove equalised in the 73rd minute when a mis-hit clearance from Freeman fell to James Boyle and he let fly from 30 yards with the ball sailing into the top corner of the net.

Hengrove weren’t on level terms for long as the home side re-took the lead on 77 minutes. Clevedon were awarded a free-kick just inside their own half and the ball was played forward to Clayton Fortune, who chested the ball off to Lucas Vowles.

The young Clevedon striker took aim from 25 yards out and the ball flew into the bottom corner of the net.

Despite the efforts of both teams, there were no further goals with Clevedon taking the three points.

Report and photos courtesy of

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus