Clevedon's first tournament of season is big hit
- Credit: Nicholas Walsh
The first social tournament of the 2021 season proved a big hit at Clevedon Lawn Tennis Club.
Caroline Thomas and Matt Grieve were the winners of a nailbiting final against Rachel Elliott and partner Simon Holmes, which was eventually won on a tie break.
The tournament, held on April 3, saw 16 players keen to get back into action and Caroline said “I really enjoyed the day, speaking face to face again with old friends and meeting new joiners was wonderful.
"I was lucky to have a dream partner, although I wanted to demonstrate new skills from watching online coaching videos at home during lockdown."
The club intend to arrange a lot more tournaments throughout the season and free coaching for non-members, and those who have never played the game before, is proving a great success.
You may also want to watch:
Resident LTA coach Michael Rakosi had 12 adults keen to play on Saturday and training included basic eye to ball co-ordination exercises, gently encouraging players to build confidence in box-to-box exercises with everyone rotating to play a different opponent.
A spokesperson said: "A good time was obviously enjoyed by all, as there were so many smiles as people were leaving."
- 1 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 2 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 4 Man with long Covid urges others to take virus seriously
- 5 Conservative named as Avon and Somerset police and crime commissioner
- 6 Clevedon AC members enjoy Glastonbury 10k outing
- 7 Lions fund noticeboard for Backwell viewpoint
- 8 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected
- 9 Nailsea & Backwell enjoy return to rugby action
- 10 May 17: Museums gear up to reopen in North Somerset next week
There are two sessions left on April 17 and 24 and anyone who would like to attend email Michael Rakosi at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07748 157229.