Clapton in Gordano net win over Nailsea rivals
- Credit: CIGFC
Clapton in Gordano got 2021 off to a winning start with a 3-2 victory over Nailsea United.
Needing three points at Grove Sports Centre to keep a title bid on track, they took the lead as Charlie Chipperfield forced a defender to put the ball into his own net.
Clapton were pegged back when a cross wasn’t cleared and Rob Brown fired home, but they regained the lead in the second half when Tim Brown found Scott Collier at the far post to net his first goal for the club with a superb diving header.
Matt Cotton then got into the box and forced a Nailsea defender to concede a penalty, which was confidently converted by Adam Buckley.
The Nailsea goalkeeper was shown a yellow card after a foul on Buckley soon after, but his side cut the gap to one thanks to a close-range finish from Jack Smith.
You may also want to watch:
Pitch conditions made it difficult for either side to produce much good football, but Clapton held on for the points in front of a good crowd.
- 1 Plant-based diet helps Clevedon man fight cancer
- 2 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 3 Daly on Portishead Town's season so far and ambitions for the future
- 4 Man due in court after cars stolen in burglary
- 5 Dad drove family 270 miles for kebab before crashing on M5
- 6 Caroline Goddard wins community hero competition
- 7 Businesses donate nearly 500 computers to support pupils in lockdown
- 8 'Every time you are active, your mental health improves'
- 9 North Somerset Council urges businesses to apply for grant funding
- 10 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week