Barrow Gurney seconds pip Pucklechurch rivals in tense finish
- Credit: BGCC
Barrow Gurney 2nd XI were involved in tense finish with Pucklechurch seconds at Hobbs Lane as the firsts had a day off as self-isolation hit their scheduled opponents.
Pucklechurch batted first and put together a creditable 183-6 in the face of some accurate bowling.
Mike Lilley was particularly miserly, conceding only 19 runs in eight overs and taking a couple of key wickets, and Paul Gard (2-29) also bowled well.
Off-spinner Oscar Livesey bowled his eight overs for 24, taking a wicket, and Barrow’s reply got off to a steady start through openers Jordan Allen (15) and Ben Skuse (22).
But when they and Mark Gracey (21) failed to capitalise on good starts, Barrow began to fall behind the run rate.
You may also want to watch:
Will Comley picked a good time to record his maiden half-century for Barrow, steadily growing in confidence and range of shot, but fell for 61 when it looked like he would take the team to victory.
An increasingly nervous partnership developed between Steve Allen (17 not out) and Mike York (12 not out) who, denied several boundaries by some excellent Pucklechurch fielding, engaged in some enterprising running between the wickets.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
With one ball to go all three results were possible but they managed to squeeze the ball away for the two runs needed in an enjoyable game.