Backwell Tennis Club hold successful tournament finals
- Credit: Backwell Tennis Club
Backwell Tennis Club held their club tournament finals in glorious autumn sunshine in an entertaining weekend of tennis.
The early tournament rounds began in May and matches continued throughout the summer until the culmination on the weekend of September 11th.
In total more than 100 players took part, with age range from as young as eight years old, in the juniors, through to seniors, 50 and over, category.
In Saturday’s women’s singles, the final was won in straight sets by defending champion Ali Simpson with a decisive second set, after a close fought first, against Jude Barker.
The under-16 girls’ final saw another high quality contest between Hannah Payne and Lauren Beaver, which was won by Payne.
You may also want to watch:
The men’s doubles final was won by Stuart Beaver and Tommy Simpson in an entertaining match against men’s singles finalists Ben Jones and Joe Wild
In the under-16 boys’ final Jean-Baptiste Chanoit overcame Joe Wilmott in another thrilling match.
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 3 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 4 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 5 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 6 Ashton & Backwell United bow out of Buildbase FA Vase after Bemerton Heath Harlequins defeat
- 7 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 8 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 9 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 10 October in the garden: Flamboyant foliage to brighten our days
In the mixed doubles in the over-50s category, Malcolm Barnes and Nikki Black overcame Christine Baker and Neil Bewley in two sets, 6-4 7-6.
In men’s over-50 doubles, John Tarkanyi and Graeme Hughes defeated Nick Sawbridge and Martin Keattch in straight sets, while in the women’s final Pippa Barry and Dawn Dickinson defeated Nikki Black and Kathryn Smith in a brilliant three-set match.
The final match to finish on Sunday was the men’s singles final, between reigning champion Ben Jones and eventual winner Wild.
In the juniors, the under-11 singles was won by George Clark-Williams and under-11 doubles by Brandon Bennett and Clark-Williams.
In the under-12 boys the singles were won by Cillian Peoples and doubles Miles Payne and Clark-Williams.
The under-14 boys singles was won by Nikita Chambers and girls singles Pippa Payne.
In the under-14 boys the doubles were won by Chambers and Lucas Bloom and under-16 girls doubles were won by Payne and Katie Barry.
The mixed doubles were picked up by Joe Wilmott and Payne.
Other Results saw the Women’s singles plate won by Payne.
The men’s singles plate went to Guillaume Chanoit and the women’s doubles plate went to Payne and Lauren Beaver.
The mixed doubles plate was won by Emma Pattison and Michael Perry.
Club chairman Richard Gaunt said: “We are already looking forward to our annual tournament in 2022”.