Backwell Swimming Club produce superb display to finish in second in A-Final
- Credit: Backwell SC
An incredible performance from Backwell Swimming Club saw them finish second in the Cotswold League A Final at Hutton Moor Leisure Centre.
Getting to the A Final was thanks to the hard work put in by all swimmers who have taken part in the entire series, which started in January.
It consisted of the top eight teams in the league after four galas and saw Backwell up against Bridgwater, Swim Academy Burnham, Wells, Bath Dolphins, Cwmbran, Brockworth and City of Bristol.
With close racing throughout, the top three places changed between Backwell, Bridgwater and City of Bristol.
With just 13 races to go, Bridgwater and City of Bristol both had 211 points with Backwell in third on 205.
And a fantastic final push by Backwell's swimmers allowed them to claw back points to pip City of Bristol and finish runners-up, just 10 points behind Bridgwater who won with 291.
Backwell saw a club record broken by masters swimmer Phil Duma, who took a further 0.72 seconds off his own 100m breaststroke record set in December 2019 with a new mark of 1:13.54.
- 1 Police warn drivers ahead of M5 fuel protests
- 2 Covid cases rise: 1-in-30 estimated to be positive
- 3 'Unavoidable' delays push back pier-to-pier cycle way between Weston and Clevedon
- 4 Garden centre opens GOLF COURSE for shoppers
- 5 Glastonbury Festival 2022: Our review of the Worthy return...
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 VIDEO: Coastguard airlifts two people from Clevedon waters
- 8 Man jailed over theft and fraud at Worle butchers
- 9 First Bus and Stagecoach reps to face Portishead residents in meeting
- 10 Firm's new depot at Avonmouth creates 10 jobs
It was just one of many individual successes throughout the series that secured Backwell a superb podium finish.