Away victory for Nailsea Ladies

PUBLISHED: 14:37 21 October 2015 | UPDATED: 14:37 21 October 2015

Nailsea Ladies defeated Mendip 5-2 to keep up their successful start to the season.

Mendip Ladies 2nd XI 2

Nailsea Ladies 1st XI 5

Nailsea Ladies enjoyed an away victory at Mendip, scoring five goals in the process.

The visitors started with a flourish, forcing a penalty corner within 10 minutes. Helen Harrington converted with a controlled slice into the corner.

Nailsea quickly went two ahead when Cath Hole rounded the keeper and finished with a reverse flick. Mendip defended well, but Hole struck again claiming her second by dodging a defender and the keeper to fire home.

Mendip pulled one back when they broke away, keeper Laura Pople saved the initial shot but the rebound fell to Mendip player who scored.

With a 3-1 lead at half-time, Nailsea continued to command the midfield, with lively player of the match Abi Shorney adding a fourth. Mendip responded once again and scored from a penalty corner.

Both sides kept up the pace, but Mendip were unable to break through, while a strike by Jen Roach was deflected past the keeper by Jo Marshall.

Nailsea Ladies 2nd XI 5

Mendip Ladies 3rd XI 0

A positive start from Nailsea saw Hattie Rowney, Bernie Forge, Jen Atherton and Rachel Clarke all going close, but the Mendip keeper responded well to keep Nailsea out.

It took a slipped pass from a rebound and Rachel Clarke to beat the keeper. Despite chances at both ends, the first-half remained at 1-0.

After the break, goals from Bernie and captain Chloe Turner put Nailsea in command. Mendip continued to make their chances, but Hannah Clarke and Katie Matthews worked well to cut out any danger, while keeper Alanis Thomas looked in control.

Goal number four gave Harriet Rowney her first of the season and player of the match Atherton finished the game off with a fine shot.

Nailsea Under-10s went to the Avon Junior Festival at Yate with a mix of players, some as young as six, some having only been playing a few weeks and others playing unfamiliar positions.

In goal for the first time, Kieran Jelliss had an excellent game, Johnny King was lively in defence and Ellie Richardson calm and solid, while newcomer Josh Hobbs shone when moved into midfield.

There were four games and each game saw them get stronger and more organised. They all worked well together supporting and passing to each other.

After losing the first game 3-0, they came out for the second with more determination and despite losing 1-0 they had scoring chances, one shot by Maisy Hole went just wide.

It was the same story in game three, Lainey Thorpe and Paige Richardson assisted by youngest player Megan Richardson showed no fear and an enthusiastic determination to be involved.

It all came together in the last game, when Ben Warren and Hole kept forcing for a goal, which Hole scored to give Nailsea a well-deserved 1-0 win to finish.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times