Ashton & Backwell United progress in FA Vase after win at Stonehouse Town
- Credit: Charlie Cole
Ashton & Backwell United picked up a comfortable win at Stonehouse Town in the FA Vase.
Goals in each half from Joe Bishop and Leon Clayton-Clarke secured the Stags a place in the second qualifying round for the 10th consecutive season and will face Western league Premier Division rivals Brislington on September 25.
In a very scrappy game it was The Stags who drew first blood when Bishop turned home Clayton-Clarke’s free-kick after 30 minutes.
The Magpies came out with more determination in the second-half and it took a top class save from Lewis Coombes to keep the visitors ahead.
And with the tie still in the balance Clayton-Clarke secured A & B the win when the defender capitalised on a mix up in the Hellenic League Division One’s side defence with a fine finish.
You may also want to watch:
Ashton & Backwell United return to action this Saturday when they take on Helson Athletic at the Lancer Scott Stadium still seeking their first home win of the season.
- 1 Town centre retirement complex to become apartments
- 2 Baby Etta is first to be born at Clevedon MIU
- 3 Ashton & Backwell United appoint Tony Beecham as new manager
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 Beer and cider festival raises £2k for community centre
- 6 Hundreds flock to town's first arts festival
- 7 Nailsea preschool leader retires after 33 years
- 8 U-turn as West of England Combined Authority formally opposes Bristol Airport expansion
- 9 Finance boss: What services should council cut for climate emergency?
- 10 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon