In a game totally dominated by the end to end gale force wind at Fairfax Park, Clevedon Town beat Bridgwater United 1-0 last Tuesday after a dramatic last gasp Sam Beresford winner.

Crucially skipper Syd Camper won the toss and chose to play against the wind in the first half, but throughout a frustrating 90 minutes Town made better use of the conditions, defending well in the first half and creating a number of opportunities in the second, despite the ball constantly running away from them as the wind grew even stronger.

James Dunn spread himself to produce a great save from Murray Finn Koppa the scuffed a shot wide, Tom Llewellyn’s shot from distance was deflected for a corner as Bridgwater sought to make the conditions count but Freddie King had a couple of chances on the break.

North Somerset Times: The Clevedon Town players celebrate their last gasp goalThe Clevedon Town players celebrate their last gasp goal (Image:

Bridgwater pushed hard just before half time to make the wind advantage count and two former Seasiders went close. Morgan Williams’ shot was pushed away by Dunn, George King shot over and then put a free kick straight at Dunn, so half time arrived with the game goalless.

The second half was the complete opposite of the first as Clevedon dominated. Freddie King shot straight at Finch and as the conditions worsened Mark Armstrong put his clearance straight to Kieran Ireland who sliced his effort wide.

A good Jake Llewellyn tackle stopped Camm before Glen Hayer almost scored a repeat of his effort from distance last season when his long ball caught in the wind and had Finch scrambling to grab the ball on the line. With Clevedon pushing men forward Finch was next diving at the feet of Elliot Nicholson.

Camper put a free kick into the Bridgwater wall and Freddie King’s ball into the box flew away from Beresford and then Beresford did well to chase down Hayer’s ball but then miss hit his shot.

Just when it looked like the match would end in an inevitable goalless draw both teams made a last ditch effort to win the game. Dunn was quickly out to smother Murray’s effort then Murray flashed a shot wide.

Six minutes into added time Clevedon made their second half domination count when full back Nicholson up in the centre forward position again hit a stunning dipping shot.  Finch did well to get a faint touch, but the ball crashed down off the underside of the bar and Beresford reacted quickly to bundle the ball into the net for his 20th goal of the season and spark wild celebrations from Seasiders players and supporters and a vital 1-0 win.

Assistant Manager Ryan King said, “We’re finding ways to win games even when we’re under pressure and did it again which was great for the team and supporters.”