Toolstation Western League: Clevedon Town 5-0 Welton Rovers

The Seasiders came into the game well aware of the potential banana skin Welton Rovers presented with a new management team and were good value for their 5-0 win.

 Clevedon were unchanged, but in  contrast to last week they completely dominated possession and never looked back after taking an early lead, going on to complete their fifth clean sheet on the trot in the league.

Kieran Ireland had an effort ruled out early on for offside but there was only 7 minutes on the clock when skipper Syd Camper gave Town the lead. Up for Freddie Kings free kick, Glen Hayer laid the ball back for Camper to pick his spot into the corner of the net.

Welton responded, but loan signing from Chippenham Marcel Lewis failed to connect with Ben Gundle’s cross and another cross sailed harmlessly over which became the story of Welton’s attacking efforts all afternoon.

Clevedon were soon back in their stride Camper sent King away for a cross which was just too long for Sam Beresford. Welton keeper Alfie Hamblin was then in action to push Beresford’s shot round the post for a corner after a clever run across the edge of the box. Beresford was unlucky again from Camper’s corner when he headed Joe Teall’s cross against the bar and again just after with another header from Hayer’s long cross.

With Teall, Ireland and Alex Camm controlling the midfield Welton found it difficult to get a foothold in the game, although James Dunn had to be alert to save Caleb Summerfield’s shot after a quick break.

On the half hour Clevedon finally made their domination count when King picked out Camper from another free kick to head emphatically past Hamblin into the net to make it 2-0. The Seasiders kept the pressure on as the visitors continued to concede free kicks and picked up two yellow cards and the first half ended with Clevedon leading 2-0.

After seeing several chances go begging in the first period, Seasiders leading scorer Beresford got a huge helping hand straight after the restart when Hamblin’s attempted clearance went straight to the striker who was left to roll the ball into an empty net to make it 3-0.

Harley Vozza replaced Beresford shortly after and Vozza made an immediate impact. On 58 minutes in an incredible goalmouth scramble Hamblin made two instinctive saves, Ireland saw two efforts blocked and one hit the post before the ball ran loose to Vozza on the edge of the box to smash in number four.

Hamblin then pushed Teall’s shot over the bar after Vozza set him up, but Clevedon went nap when King’s corner was cleared to the edge of the box where Camm was waiting to shoot through a crowd of players on 83 minutes.

Clevedon kept Hamblin busy right to the end, saving two Brad Probert efforts and then stopping a shot from Vozza as he cut into the box, but it was job done with Town winning 5-0 to remain a point behind leaders Helton Athletic at the head of the table.