Toolstation League premier division: Clevedon Town 5-0 Wellington

A devastating first half onslaught from the Seasiders saw them blow Wellington away and propel themselves to the top of the table where they sit proudly as unbeaten league leaders.

Clevedon made a blistering start and after only five minutes Sol Kent sent Freddie King down the left to lay the ball back to Joe Teall for a powerful shot and the first of many good saves from overworked Welly keeper Rhys Williams who then tipped an Alex Camm shot over.

Clevedon took the lead two minutes later with a great move involving Syd Camper, Kent and King for Henry Westlake to pick out Elliot Nicholson steaming into the box from the right and fire an unstoppable shot across Williams into the far corner of the net.

There was no let up for Wellington.  Caleb Selway up with the attack then launched a great ball to the far post which Kent headed straight at Williams, but again Town made the pressure count. King’s free kick was only partially cleared to Camm to cross to the far post for Selway to control and then smash the ball into the roof of the net for his first Seasiders goal and a 2-0 lead after 23 minutes.

Wellington then enjoyed their best spell of the game but were restricted to long shots by Flynn Smith, Jacob Pickavant, Josh Lukins, Ryan Brereton and Kieran Ireland which all missed the target.

As half time approached Clevedon stepped up the pace again. Camper unleashed a dipping shot which just cleared the bar, but again, Clevedon didn’t have to wait long to score their third. Camm sent King racing through, and when Williams could only push the shot away Beresford reacted quickest to make it  3-0.

Four minutes into first half added time Camper’s stinging shot was well saved by Williams, and this time Kent reacted first to force the ball home for a half time score of Seasiders 4 Welly 0.

The second half started with Clevedon again on the offensive with Kent’s cross skidding across the top of the net and a number of shots being blocked by the overworked Wellington defence.  A Wellington break saw keeper James Dunn out to save at the feet of Brereton and then James Cotterell’s free kick went straight to the keeper.

Town increased their lead on 69 minutes when Wellington were opened up with another fine passing move as Camm played Beresford through to set up Kent and when Williams saved again this time it was Camm following up to tuck the ball in for 5-0.

Clevedon continued to string the passes together and could have increased their lead but in the end were happy with a final score of Seasiders 5 Wellington 0 in a game where everything clicked, especially in the first half.

The result propelled the unbeaten Seasiders to the top of the table with the best defensive record in the league, helped by their fourth clean sheet in a row and eighth of the season and with the bonus of goals coming from all over the pitch.

On Saturday Clevedon visit mid table Torpoint Athletic and the next home game is on Wednesday 1st November when National League South Yeovil Town are the visitors for a Somerset Premier Cup Second Round tie.