Youth cut battle backed by judge

A YOUNG man with learning difficulties will face North Somerset Council in the High Court after a judge approved his bid for a judicial review.

Aaron Hunt challenged the authority over its cuts to its youth services, saying it had failed to take into account the special needs of youngsters using the services.

And his challenge has been upheld, meaning a High Court judge will now rule on the legality of the cuts.

The 21-year-old and his mother Alison, of Banwell, say they were forced into the action after seeing how ‘distraught’ the cuts, announced last year and currently being implemented, have left youngsters.

Aaron, who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and is entitled to youth care provision until the age of 25, says the cuts have ‘ripped apart his ‘family of friends’ who he used to see at a youth club in Weston.


You may also want to watch:


The challenge, which could be heard by the High Court on June 22, claims the council breached its requirements under the Equality Act 2010 by failing to consider matters including the disability, sexual orientation and race of those using the youth services.

Alison said: “We’re over the moon as we are determined to do this for all of the young people in North Somerset as we feel that what the council is doing is simply wrong.”

Most Read

The Hunts are represented by Public Interest Lawyers in their bid, and anyone who has been affected by the cuts is being urged to contact the firm nsyouthserviceschallenge@yahoo.co.uk

A council spokesman said: “We will be defending our decision when the matter is heard and it would not be appropriate to comment further at the moment.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter