Youth centre saves Halloween party
THE plug has been pulled on a Halloween party scheduled to take place at Portishead Lake Grounds.
The town’s youth centre has now stepped in and is inviting spooky skeletons, wacky witches and ghostly ghouls to head to the Harbour Road club instead.
The fancy dress party for under 16s planned for the Lake Grounds, was being organised by the PCSOs to offer a safe alternative to trick or treating. However, the whistle was blown on the event after it attracted more attention than anticipated. Police feared it was becoming too big for the PCSOs to organise and police at the same time.
A number of community groups had pledged their support for the Lake Grounds party and workers at the youth centre say they hope they will continue to support the event, even though the location has been changed.
Full time youth worker Alan Rowe said: “We want this to be an event for all young people to enjoy and as we have become hosts in the 11th hour we really need some support from the community.”
The youth centre is calling for donations of burgers, sausages, bread rolls and prizes for the competitions. They also want to hear from organisations interested in taking a stall on the outdoor five-a-side court.
The Halloween event takes place at the Harbour Road centre from 5-8.30pm on Sunday. Tickets, priced �2 each or �5 for a family, are available from Freemans in High Street or from the youth centre.
- 1 Public urged to review sites allocated for housing in North Somerset
- 2 Winners of Clevedon artist of the year announced
- 3 Free Platinum Jubilee events in Portishead
- 4 Specialist pre-school in Clevedon rated 'outstanding' by inspectors
- 5 LETTER: 'Has our council become a dictatorship?'
- 6 'Rundown' school play area given major refurb after campaign fundraises £10,000
- 7 Clevedon SC secure second place in the Cotswold League Final
- 8 Clifton music festival returns after Covid hiatus
- 9 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 10 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
The activities include live music, a dance performance, children’s disco, fancy dress competition and a best carved pumpkin contest.
For more information, to book a stall or to offer donations of prizes and food please call the centre on 01275 842461.