Youth centre’s carer support
- Credit: Archant
A NEW service for young carers will soon be launched in Portishead.
Crossroads Care, Portishead Rotary Club and Portishead Youth Centre have joined forces to fund the new scheme at the youth centre in Harbour Road which will be staffed by representatives of Crossroads Care and a youth worker.
The service will offer support to those aged five to 18, many of whom deal with caring responsibilities on a daily basis.
Young carers’ service manager Heidi Every said: “Young carers are children who help to look after someone in their family who has a disability, a long-term illness, special needs, mental health problems or misuses alcohol or drugs.
“Children with caring responsibilities can miss out on play and socialising opportunities that other children take for granted and without support they can become isolated.
You may also want to watch:
“With no relief from their responsibilities at home, there is the risk these young people could miss out on a childhood altogether.”
As well as providing young carers with the opportunity to take a break, the new service will offer support, advice and a chance to make friends with other local children in similar situations.
- 1 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 2 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 3 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 4 Clevedon girl, 4, wins music award
- 5 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 6 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 7 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 8 Conservative candidate chosen for by-election
- 9 Woodspring Women in hunt for new players over the age of 16 to join their side
- 10 North Somerset Stars lose out to Cheltenham rivals
The new service will be launched at the youth centre on February 11. The family event, including entertainment, will run from 10.30am-2.30pm. Following this, the group will meet fortnightly at the youth centre, starting on February 18.
For more details about the service call 01934 411854.