Youngsters enjoy Bulgaria expedition
A GROUP of 10 young people from Clevedon travelled to Bulgaria to help renovate an orphanage.
The 16-22-year-olds spent two weeks in the town of Elin Pelin, where they worked to redecorate and refurbish an orphanage using locally-sourced materials and equipment.
Organised by YMCA volunteer Simon Flett and another volunteer called Alister McDonald, the trip was also used to help the participants gain a BTEC qualification in developing skills.
While at the orghanage, the volunteers redecorated a corridor used by children to sleep in and also repaired leaking masonry around the building. They also spent time interacting with the children at the orphanage as well as compiling their own CVs before returning home.
Simon, aged 35 from Clevedon, said: “The main aim was to develop the youngsters from Clevedon. The people who are struggling to find employment.
You may also want to watch:
“The group has come back now and most of them are looking for work.
“They are still on a high from the trip and eager to find jobs to keep them motivated.
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 3 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 4 Portishead salon to wear all pink for breast cancer fundraiser
- 5 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 6 Officer's final written warning after sending inappropriate messages
- 7 Road group condemns 'unacceptable traffic misery' in village
- 8 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
- 9 Countryside charity condemns plan to build 600 homes in village
- 10 Bristol Combination Vase: Nailsea & Backwell RFC looking to create history says Hill
“It would be great to hear from anyone who could offer them employment opportunities.”
*Anyone wishing to help can call Clevedon YMCA on 01275 878405.