Youngsters enjoy Bulgaria expedition
A GROUP of 10 young people from Clevedon travelled to Bulgaria to help renovate an orphanage.
The 16-22-year-olds spent two weeks in the town of Elin Pelin, where they worked to redecorate and refurbish an orphanage using locally-sourced materials and equipment.
Organised by YMCA volunteer Simon Flett and another volunteer called Alister McDonald, the trip was also used to help the participants gain a BTEC qualification in developing skills.
While at the orghanage, the volunteers redecorated a corridor used by children to sleep in and also repaired leaking masonry around the building. They also spent time interacting with the children at the orphanage as well as compiling their own CVs before returning home.
Simon, aged 35 from Clevedon, said: “The main aim was to develop the youngsters from Clevedon. The people who are struggling to find employment.
You may also want to watch:
“The group has come back now and most of them are looking for work.
“They are still on a high from the trip and eager to find jobs to keep them motivated.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 6 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 7 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 8 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
“It would be great to hear from anyone who could offer them employment opportunities.”
*Anyone wishing to help can call Clevedon YMCA on 01275 878405.