Young couple’s school mission
A YOUNG Nailsea couple have set up a free school in Uganda after being struck by the poverty experienced by the country’s children.
During a year off from their jobs, 22-year-olds Mark and Megan Walters travelled to the African country in the hope of helping some of its people.
While in Uganda they were able to buy a small building, with the help of a social worker, and convert it into a school, where they began teaching 15 children some basic skills.
As long-standing members of Holy Trinity and Trendlewood Church, Mark and Megan were supported in their project by other church-goers who helped raise money through different events, including a breakfast at Golden Valley Primary School, which raised nearly �300.
Pam Salisbury of Holy Trinity and Trendlewood Church said: “The most desperate need was for free education which would give the children some chance of a life outside the slum.
You may also want to watch:
“This will help them catch up with others if and when a state school place becomes possible.”
Mark, headkeeper for reptiles and birds at Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm, and Megan, a gym teacher and nanny, have also created a charity called Hope For Life Katanga, which funds a local teacher and the ongoing costs of materials to run the school and evening training centre for life skills and other community work.
- 1 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 2 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 3 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 4 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 5 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 6 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 7 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 8 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 9 Council plea to public as services impacted by pingdemic
- 10 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
* For more details about the project visit www.hopeforlifekatanga.com