Weston General Hospital’s A&E will not reopen 24/7 before Christmas, bosses reveal
- Credit: Archant
Weston General Hospital’s A&E will not operate 24/7 over the Christmas period.
Weston Area Health NHS Trust (WAHT) says the ward will remain shut overnight between 10pm-8am.
The ‘temporary’ night-time closure of Weston’s A&E was introduced in July amid staff shortages jeopardising the safety of emergency care.
A WAHT spokesman said patients’ safety is its priority.
He added: “Our A&E department will not reopen overnight in the short term – and not before Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
“Overnight services will remain closed until we are confident safe and sustainable staffing levels are in place throughout the night. While we’re making progress with recruiting the numbers of permanent doctors needed to safely run the service at night – and we continue to do all we can – it remains a challenge.
“There’s no planned date for reopening currently.”
- 1 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 2 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 3 Leisure centre to reopen next year following repairs
- 4 Shop Local: Popular fruit and veg specialist launches new website
- 5 New multi-million pound sports facility for Backwell School
- 6 Appeal for help to find missing teenager
- 7 'Outstanding’ town council clerk stands down
- 8 Portishead couple raises £5k for charity in support of close friend after cancer diagnosis
- 9 Pubs and breweries running delivery and collection services during lockdown
- 10 Further delays for rail project
Paramedics will instead take patients to Taunton or Bristol.