Waverley’s future looks bright
THE famous Waverley paddle steamer that visits Clevedon during the summer has seen a rise in passenger numbers since a fundraising appeal was launched.
In June, the Times reported how a national campaign, Save the Waverley, had been launched to raise vital funds to ensure the boat continues to operate.
A huge rise in fuel costs and three summers of bad weather meant that a further �350,000 was needed for the vessel to return for the 2012 season.
Since the appeal was launched, the registered charity that operates the Waverley, the Waverley Steam Navigation Company, has reported a 32 per cent increase in passenger numbers for July compared to last year.
So far, �140,000 has also been donated by supporters and the charity is now confident that it will reach the fundraising target.
You may also want to watch:
Charity chairman Nick James said: “We are delighted with the increase in passenger numbers - it is fantastic to see the public coming out in support of the Waverley.”
A Just Giving page has been launched to help reach the fundraising target at www.justgiving.com/Paddlesteamerwaverley
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 3 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 4 How to order free Covid home tests
- 5 Cleeve claim friendly win at Hambrook
- 6 Health club thanks NHS workers with free memberships
- 7 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 8 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 9 Lord-Lieutenant unveils memorial to commemorate village war dead
- 10 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
The Waverley has now finished its sailings of the Bristol Channel for 2011 but her sister ship the Balmoral begins trips today (Tues). For more details visit www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk
* To see our previous story on the Waverley campaign click on the related link at the top right of this story. Also, do you think the Waverley is worth saving? If so, let your opinion be known in our comments box below.