Walking in the rain
A SPONSORED walk for the Bristol and Avon Multiple Sclerosis Centre (BrAMS) raised thousands-of-pounds despite the pouring rain.
More than 100 people braved the elements on June 12 to take part in the four-and-a-half mile walk around Portishead for the charity.
The event was organised by Portishead mum-of-two, Sarah Boyce who was diagnosed with relapse remit MS in 2010. The 41-year-old customer service assistant came up with the idea after vowing to give something back in return for the care and support she has received from the centre over the past year.
The sponsorship money is still being collected but is expected to be more than �3,000 and a barbecue, raffle and tombola at Portishead Football Club after the walk raised a further �1,100.
Sarah said: “I have been completely overwhelmed by the support the event has received, not only from all the walkers but also from members of the community who provided raffle prizes and put money in collection tins as we walked.”
You may also want to watch:
Donations in support of the cause can still be made by visiting www.justgiving.com/Sarah-Boyce1
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 5 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 6 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 7 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 8 From cleaning windows to playing for Ashton & Backwell - Coleman's story
- 9 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
- 10 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village