Video: Gerald the giraffe gets a mate at last
ONE of Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm’s most loveable animals now has a mate.
After four years of searching Europe for a suitable candidate, Gerald the giraffe now shares his paddock with the beautiful Genevieve.
Genevieve has come to Noah’s Ark in Wraxall all the way from Eastern Europe and stands just three feet smaller than Gerald.
Head keeper Chris Wilkinson said: “I’ve been here since the start, remembering quite clearly our hopes in the early days of keeping giraffes and our excitement when we took on Gerald the giraffe as a much shorter, timid male in 2006.
“We’ve been looking for a suitable female friend for him ever since that day, with lots of setbacks to contend with and some false starts.
You may also want to watch:
“We could have taken another male some time ago, but decided to hold on for a female. Genevieve is beautiful though and well worth the wait – Gerald is a very lucky giraffe indeed.”
Gerald has previously struck up some surprising relationships including a close bond with Eddie the goat. The pair often walked together and Gerald would lie down so Eddie could climb on his neck.
- 1 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 2 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 3 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 4 Clevedon girl, 4, wins music award
- 5 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 6 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 7 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 8 Conservative candidate chosen for by-election
- 9 Portishead awarded GreenSeas Trust bin to tackle plastic pollution
- 10 Plans for housing on Backwell fields take step forward
Staff will now monitor the two giraffes closely and help Genevieve to settle into her new home.