Portbury Hundred shooting: Victim named as 29-year-old Portishead resident
- Credit: PA
The man who died in a police shooting off the M5 has been named as a Portishead resident.
Police have named the victim as 29-year-old Spencer Ashworth, of Phoenix Way.
He was shot by a police firearms team at around 9.30am on Wednesday.
He was reported to have been travelling south on the M5 in a red Suzuki Swift while armed with a handgun.
Avon and Somerset police cars surrounded the man’s vehicle in The Portbury Hundred before officers fired.
You may also want to watch:
The incident is now being independently investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) which is examining body-worn video footage from the scene.
MORE: IPCC begins investigation into shooting
- 1 Town centre retirement complex to become apartments
- 2 Baby Etta is first to be born at Clevedon MIU
- 3 Ashton & Backwell United appoint Tony Beecham as new manager
- 4 Beer and cider festival raises £2k for community centre
- 5 Hundreds flock to town's first arts festival
- 6 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 7 Nailsea preschool leader retires after 33 years
- 8 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 9 State-of-the-art gym launched at Clevedon School
- 10 Finance boss: What services should council cut for climate emergency?
The IPCC is also appealing for any other road users who may have captured footage of the incident on dashcam.
Anyone with information is asked to call 08000 294686.