Portbury Hundred shooting: Victim named as 29-year-old Portishead resident
- Credit: PA
The man who died in a police shooting off the M5 has been named as a Portishead resident.
Police have named the victim as 29-year-old Spencer Ashworth, of Phoenix Way.
He was shot by a police firearms team at around 9.30am on Wednesday.
He was reported to have been travelling south on the M5 in a red Suzuki Swift while armed with a handgun.
Avon and Somerset police cars surrounded the man’s vehicle in The Portbury Hundred before officers fired.
You may also want to watch:
The incident is now being independently investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) which is examining body-worn video footage from the scene.
MORE: IPCC begins investigation into shooting
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 3 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 4 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 5 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 6 Camera club wants new members to join
- 7 Driving group needs more volunteers
- 8 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 9 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
- 10 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
The IPCC is also appealing for any other road users who may have captured footage of the incident on dashcam.
Anyone with information is asked to call 08000 294686.