Update: Flooding causes disruption
TORRENTIAL rain and flooding have caused widespread disruption across North Somerset.
This morning (Wed), waste and recycling collections have been affected in Portbury, Pill and Portishead, with residents being told to leave their bins and boxes out. North Somerset Council has said they will be emptied as soon as possible over the next few days.
Wraxall’s Tyntesfield estate has been closed to visitors today due to flooding, several schools have reportedly been affected and Portbury’s High Street has also been covered by fast flowing water.
The A370 in Backwell has also been affected with drivers reporting a diversion through Nailsea. The road has reportedly been closed near Long Ashton.
There are also reportedly problems with standing water in Clevedon and Pill.
You may also want to watch:
Train services between Weston and Bristol have been adversely affected with most either being cancelled or delayed by a minimum of two hours.
Bus services have also been affected. The 121 service from Bristol to Weston has been diverted in Wrington, Lower Langford and Locking and service 66 from Nailsea to Congresbury has been diverted through Failand to avoid Portbury and via Valley Road in Portishead to avoid Walton Bay near Clevedon.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 7 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
The Met Office issued a weather warning yesterday and the heavy rain has caused large amounts of standing water to form.
Firefighters were called to a flooded house in Station Road, Congresbury, at 7.50pm last night (Tues). The bathroom was found to be flooded and firefighters helped the residents fix the cause of the problem.
* Have you seen any flooding near where you live? Then send your pictures into weston.iwitness24.co.uk