Ukulele fundraiser for orchestra member
AN ORCHESTRA of 20 ukulele players will put on a special performance in aid of one of their members.
Sarah Drake from Portishead has been diagnosed with breast cancer for a second time and is in need of a special piece of equipment, called a lymphodaema circulation pump, to help her circulation and prevent infection.
The 51-year-old, who used to be in the Royal Navy, joined the Ukulele Funhouse Orchestra (UFO) when it formed last year and other members have been quick to rally round and offer her support.
UFO is a dedicated band of ukulele players from across North Somerset and has performed renditions of songs from acts such as the Rolling Stones, Tina Turner and The Beatles, in some of the region’s most prestigious venues.
The group has put on a number of concerts for charity and this month hope to raise a substantial amount toward the �3,000 needed for the pump Sarah requires.
You may also want to watch:
A concert will be put on at Portishead’s Somerset Hall in High Street at 8pm on September 29. Tickets, priced �8, are available from Morgan Westley, also in High Street.
Musical director, Steve Pearson, said: “Sarah has handled a difficult time with tremendous grace and courage and it is a pleasure to be able to help her in this way.”
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 3 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 4 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 5 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 6 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 7 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Clevedon to celebrate National Poetry Day
- 10 Huge housing extension planned for North Somerset town