Tributes paid to popular fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
WELL-known fundraiser Barbara King passed away peacefully at home on January 26 after a short illness.
Born in Muswell Hill, London in 1930, she enjoyed a happy childhood until war broke out. She was evacuated twice but both her parents survived the hostilities.
She met her husband, John King at the Lamb and Lobster restaurant in London where a waitress suggested that they could be friends.
They married in 1961 and had two boys, Graham and Andrew.
The family then moved from London to Kent and then to Failand in the 70s, where they made lifelong friends and started raising money for charity and local causes.
You may also want to watch:
These activities continued when they moved to Flax Bourton.
Barbara lost Mervyn in 1990 but continued to be an even larger part of the community, becoming an officer of charities such as Red Cross, RNLI, Parkinson’s and St Peters Hospice.
- 1 Portishead awarded GreenSeas Trust bin to tackle plastic pollution
- 2 Gorgeous three-bedroom character cottage in rural area, with annexe
- 3 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 4 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 New bike shelter opened at Weston General Hospital for Clean Air Day
- 7 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 8 Portishead Summer Show announces 2021 dates
- 9 Circus Funtasia comes to Clevedon
- 10 Plans for housing on Backwell fields take step forward
She had a long association with the Failand Drama Circle and the Backwell Playhouse and was the chairman of the local WI.
She moved to Wraxall ten years ago and once again opened her home for many functions.
She has raised more than £150,000 for various charities and her energy and generosity were recognised with an invitation to attend a royal garden party at Buckingham Palace.
Her son Andrew said: “She was loved by all her family and she adored her four grandchildren.
“She will be greatly missed by so many people locally, which has been reflected by the huge number of cards and wishes of sympathy that have been received by her family.”
Members of the NW Somerset Branch of Parkinson’s UK also sent in a tribute to Barbara.
Chairman Jill Gilbert said: “The committee and members of the North West Somerset Branch of Parkinson’s UK were deeply saddened to hear of the death of their vice president, Barbara King, last weekend.
“Mrs King was a keen supporter of the branch and often attended their meetings and social events.
“Barbara was a wonderful vice-president and her friendship and wise counsel will be sorely missed.”