Tributes for Backwell councillor
TRIBUTES have been paid to the chairman of Backwell Parish Council who died on Sunday following an illness.
Colin Pope was elected as chairman of the council in 2003 and remained in that position for the past eight years.
The former policeman was a popular figure in Backwell and worked hard for the benefit of the village and its residents.
In tribute to Colin, whose wife Shirley is also a parish councillor, a statement from the parish council said: “He was a very active and conscientious chairman, who gave unsparingly of his time to the interests and future of Backwell.
“Colin was particularly robust and courageous in dealing unflinchingly with difficult issues, and embraced his responsibility as chairman
You may also want to watch:
“He also found time to become involved in other aspects of the local community and was involved in the running of the parish hall for many years.
“His commitment, energy, and devotion to the local community were invaluable.
- 1 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 2 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 3 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 4 Cleeve claim friendly win at Hambrook
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 7 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 8 Health club thanks NHS workers with free memberships
- 9 Creation of 'flimsy' roles at £7,000 is 'indefensible', says North Somerset councillor
- 10 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
“Colin will be very sadly missed and the council wishes to offer their deepest sympathy to his wife, councillor Shirley Pope, at this time.”
North Somerset councillor for Backwell Karen Barclay said: “Colin was both a colleague and a friend. I valued and will very much miss his support, common sense and dedication in his role as chairman of the parish council. He will be greatly missed within the community. ”
Colin, who died aged 68, retired from the Avon and Somerset police force after many years of experience led him to the position of chief superintendent.
He and his wife Shirley travelled to Bahrain, where he worked as a senior police commander, before they then returned to Backwell and became parish councillors.
Funeral arrangements for Colin are yet to be confirmed.