Trekkers complete Peru challenge
A TEAM of 26 fundraisers have returned from the challenge of a lifetime following the Inca Trail in Peru.
The group took on the challenge to raise money for the Pill-based charity, Penny Brohn Cancer Care, and so far they have raised �37,000 toward its work with cancer sufferers and their loved ones.
The Inca Trail covers three high mountain passes, including one at 4,200 metres, and combines stunning mountain scenery, lush cloud forest, sub-tropical jungle and the legendary Inca paving stones, ruins and tunnels.
Among the team were five former service users including Richard Meacham from Ham Green.
The 41-year-old discovered he had cancer when an ear ache turned out to be a life-threatening tumour, which was diagnosed in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
He managed to raise �4,800 by taking part in the trek.
He said: “The trek was a fantastic way to give back to Penny Brohn Cancer Care and say thank you for the support they have given me. Hopefully I’ve overcome my cancer and they’ve been instrumental in holding my hand throughout it.”
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 3 PICTURES: Lions charity surprises Clevedon residents
- 4 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 5 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 6 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 7 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 8 Bristol and Weston NHS charities merge under new name
- 9 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 10 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
The charity’s events and corporate manager Amy Cason said: “It was both physically and mentally tough but we have been able to raise lots of money for a fantastic cause and I am already considering the charity’s next challenge.”
The trip draws to a close Penny Brohn Cancer Care’s 30th anniversary year.
Anyone wishing to still sponsor Richard can do so by visiting www.justgiving.co.uk/RichMeacham