Trek the Inca Trail for Penny Brohn Cancer Care
A PILL man diagnosed with cancer has signed up to trek the original Inca Trail in Peru in aid of Penny Brohn Cancer Care.
Richard Meacham was 38 when doctors found a tumour in his inner ear in March 2009. The ex serviceman, now a BT operations manager, underwent surgery to remove the tumour, which left him with no hearing in his left ear and no movement on the left side of his face.
Richard, of Fitzharding Road, Ham Green, discovered the work of Penny Brohn Cancer Care when he went to an open day at its base in Chapel Pill Lane, Pill, with his wife Kaye.
To help raise money for the complementary care provided by the charity, Richard will take part in a trek to the lost city of the Incas in Peru, Macchu Picchu, in October.
The expedition will cover three high mountain passes, including one at 4,200 metres, and combines stunning mountain scenery, lush cloud forest, subtropical jungle and the legendary Inca paving stones, ruins and tunnels.
Penny Brohn Cancer Care hopes has so far signed up 29 people to the trek and aims to raise �90,000.
Richard, now aged 40 and a father-of-two, said: “Penny Brohn Cancer Care has done so much for me and this seems like a great way to be able to give something back.
- 1 Monthly disco returns for people with disabilities in North Somerset
- 2 Al-fresco summer concert in Clevedon this weekend
- 3 The Hub to host open day in Portishead
- 4 COURT RESULTS: Speeding woman, 71, banned from driving
- 5 Glastonbury Festival 2022: Our review of the Worthy return...
- 6 Firm's new depot at Avonmouth creates 10 jobs
- 7 Police warn drivers ahead of M5 fuel protests
- 8 VIDEO: Coastguard airlifts two people from Clevedon waters
- 9 Garden centre opens GOLF COURSE for shoppers
- 10 'Unavoidable' delays push back pier-to-pier cycle way between Weston and Clevedon
“Last year, when I was going through all my treatment, their support was really crucial. The people at Penny Brohn Cancer Care really understood what I was going through.”
To help raise money toward the trip, Richard will hold a fund-raising event at Bristol City Football Club on June 18.
To make a donation toward Richard’s fund visit www.justgiving.com/RichMeacham
* To find out more about taking part in the trek visit www.pennybrohncancercare.org/events