Town ready for Christmas
THE countdown to Christmas begins in Portishead on Monday when the town’s festive illuminations will be turned on.
The section of High Street between Wyndham Way and Combe Road will be closed from 6-7.15pm to allow for the switch-on.
A stage in the Precinct is expected to be crammed with VIP guests to help flick the switch to light up the town for the coming weeks.
This year Olympic gymnast Imogen Cairns is expected to make her second appearance as guest of honour to switch the lights on, along with a host of other characters from the town including town council chairman John Clark, BBC weather presenter Jemma Cooper and her co-organiser of Portishead carnival Wendy Watkins.
As always, Santa will be making a special appearance. He is expected to arrive at the Precinct on his sleigh at about 6.20pm when he will be happy to take letters from children who want to tell him how good they have been and what they are hoping for this Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
The switch-on at 6.30pm will be followed by a short, but spectacular High Street firework display.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week