Town council to join Facebook
IT COULD be a new era for the youth of Portishead after the town council announced it is to launch a new Facebook group to help it keep in touch with younger members of the community.
Use of the social networking site was one of several ideas discussed by councillors following their decision to set up a youth forum.
The forum will allow young people living in Portishead to have a voice on a variety of issues and on plans for shaping the growing town’s future.
The idea was proposed by long-standing councillor Barry Walters who noted that, following the May elections, Portishead town councillors were all approaching, if not already enjoying, their senior years.
Cllr Walters said: “The youth of Portishead needs to be engaged in issues that affect the town. Not only do we need to hear their ideas but also have them examine ways of managing these ideas to allow them to become a reality.”
You may also want to watch:
The first youth forum meeting will be held on July 19 at 7pm at the Folk Hall in High Street.
Office assistant Helen Darwall, who will clerk the meeting, said: “We want any teenagers who want to take an interest in the future of their town to come along and talk about issues that are important to them. We hope that one day some of these young people will become town councillors themselves.”
- 1 ‘Perfect tribute’ as Clevedon Pier named pier of the year
- 2 Carpenter praises Clevedon following success over Chippenham
- 3 Chief constable's bid to overturn ruling on PC's racist language dismissed
- 4 Nailsea & Backwell under-16s get better of Weston on return to rugby
- 5 Business expansion plans get the go-ahead at Royal Portbury Dock
- 6 Nailsea teacher publishes book on cycling challenge
- 7 Stunning and modern four-bedroom home near open countryside
- 8 Suspension bridge to close for maintenance
- 9 Nailsea church awarded grant for repairs and reopening
- 10 Portishead Open Air Pool to reopen on Friday
Young people interested in attending the meeting can just turn up but are asked to notify Helen of their proposed attendance. They can do this by emailing email@example.com