Thieves fail to dampen play port opening
THIEVES failed to stop a new children’s adventure play centre opening on time in Portishead.
The Playport got the thumbs-up from children when it threw its doors open on schedule at 9.30am on Monday.
Owners Emma Carter and Gemma Watts had been forced to work around the clock to get it ready on time, after a break-in just days earlier.
Thieves smashed their way into the Old Mill Road building in the early hours of April 4, causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage before making off with tools and equipment worth thousands.
Emma’s husband, Matt, said: “The business has taken more than a year to plan and it is devastating when within days of opening, someone comes along and tries to ruin all the hard work.
You may also want to watch:
“We have now upgraded the security and we all pulled together ensure the opening went ahead as planned.”
Emma and Gemma have spent more than �100,000 transforming a disused warehouse into the modern play centre for children up to 12. It also includes a caf� serving snacks and drinks and providing newspapers and wi-fi for parents.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 6 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 7 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 8 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch
The Playport is open from 9.30am-6pm Monday to Saturday and from 10am-5pm on Sundays.
For more details visit www.theplayport.co.uk