The search for a princess
THE search is on to find Portishead’s royal family for 2012.
Organisers are looking for a carnival king, queen, princess and flower princess to lead the carnival street procession, which takes place on June 16.
This will be the 10th year of the revival of Portishead carnival under the leadership of Wendy Watkins and Jemma Cooper. Both stepped up to form a new carnival committee in 2003 after interest in the annual event declined and it had dwindled to just a handful of floats.
It is now once again one of the highlights of the Portishead calendar and boasts more than 20 colourful floats and walking parties in the parade.
A disco will be held at the town’s youth centre in Harbour Road on March 9 to find a carnival princess, flower princess and attendants. The carnival princess contest is open to those aged 10-12 years and flower princess applicants must be aged seven to nine.
You may also want to watch:
The disco runs from 6.30-8.45pm with an entry fee of �3. Applications, which need to be signed by a parent or guardian, are available from all primary schools or by calling the royal family co-ordinator on 01275 843422. Some will also be available on the door on the night of the disco.
Residents are being asked to nominate anyone they would like to see given the position of carnival king and queen. Nomination forms are available from Gordano School in St Marys Road, Portishead Youth Centre or by calling the number above. Nominees must be aged 13 or over and must have consented to the nomination.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week