Terminal extension at Bristol Airport opens
- Credit: Archant
An £8.6million extension to Bristol Airport was opened on Friday morning.
The project took a year to complete and offers passengers a range of improved facilities in the departure lounge, such as extra seating and a wider choice of shops and food outlets.
Another feature of the extension is an outdoor terrace area which enables passengers to watch planes as they land and take off. The terrace also includes a bar and restaurant seating under a retractable roof.
The airport’s chief executive Robert Sinclair said: “The terminal extension will make the departure experience more relaxing and enjoyable for passengers.
“People told us they wanted a better choice of retail outlets at the airport, and that is what we have provided. People now have the opportunity to come to the airport and enjoy a wider range of shops, food and drink outlets – which is exactly what we, as a regional airport, wanted to achieve.”
You may also want to watch:
The airport has already set its sights on its next phase of work as it looks to increase capacity further.
Last year was a record-breaking one with 6.3 million passengers using the terminal and airport bosses hope to grow that figure further with long-haul flights and more destinations within Europe.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 6 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 7 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 8 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
The airport will undergo further transformation over the next 12 months with a £24million terminal extension, plus a 201-room hotel.