Surfers complete channel crossing challenge
A NAILSEA surfer has completed an epic challenge to cross the English Channel on a surfboard.
Phil Williams was part of a team of four hardy surfers to complete the 23-mile paddle from Dover to Cap de Griz, which they took on in teams of two.
After being beaten by the weather in 2010 and earlier this year, the team finally managed to take on the fete on July 26.
The set off from Dover’s Shakespear beach at 8.40am and arrived in France at just after 2pm.
The team took on the challenge to fundraise for Surf Relief UK and have collected almost �3,000.
You may also want to watch:
They crossed the channel in pairs with 45 minutes in the water and then 45 minutes out.
Phil, a founding trustee of Surf Relief UK, said: “The first two legs started out well, but by the time I was half way through the third leg, in the middle of the deepest part of the channel, it became quite choppy and my back and arms really began to ache.
- 1 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 2 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 U-turn as West of England Combined Authority formally opposes Bristol Airport expansion
- 5 Duck race raises £1,000 for children's hospice
- 6 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 7 WIN: Tickets to latest James Bond film
- 8 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
“It was an amazing experience finally paddling on to the French beach, and quite amusing to see the reaction from the local tourists.”
The money raised from the paddle will be put toward the charity’s Surfable project, which provides disabled children and young people with surfing experiences through a network of surf schools in the UK.
* Donations in support of the challenge can still be made by visiting www.charitiestrust.org/members_data/event/channelpaddle2011/index.html