Surfer attempts to paddle across Channel
Nailsea surfer in bid to become first person to paddle across the English Channel
A DARING surfer from Nailsea is hoping to become the first person to cross the English Channel on a surfboard.
Phil Williams, along with three fellow surfers, will be braving the cold waters off Dover on July 20 in a bid to paddle the 26 miles to the north coast of France to raise money for Surf Relief.
It is the first time a team has attepmted to paddle across the channel.
Phil, a trustee for Surf Relief and national director for Christian Surfers UK, and his team had hoped to complete the challenge last year, but it had to be postponed due to bad weather.
You may also want to watch:
Phil said: “Despite the disappointment of last year’s postponed attempt, my passion for the charity work continues, and this still sounds like a fantastic, but slightly mad idea to raise awareness, and funds, by enthusing others to support the cause.
“I am looking forward to the challenge, but slightly apprehensive about what we might encounter along the way. I have been practising pretty regularly off the coast of Clevedon, which has been a good learning curve. The project though is a really exciting one, so as much sponsored support as possible would really be appreciated.”
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 7 Special school expansion progress
- 8 North Somerset restaurants reopen outside this week
- 9 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
- 10 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
The team, which also consists of David Manley, Toby Young and Nick Thorn hope to make it across the channel in six-seven hours.
The aim of the paddle is to raise �5,000 for the charity’s surfable project, which provides disabled children and young people with surging experiences at surf schools across the UK.
Anyone interested in sponsoring the team can visit www.charitiestrust.org/members_data/event/channelpaddle2011/index.html