Supermarket girl reaches UK Miss Universe final
A NAILSEA shop assistant has reached the British finals of the world-renowned Miss Universe competition.
Elizabeth Williams, aged 24, was left shocked when, after attending the first heat of the contest in Bristol, she received a letter confirming she had been chosen to represent the region at the Miss Universe Great Britain contest.
Elizabeth, known to her friends as Beth, works in Iceland in Nailsea and entered the contest after taking part in the Face of Bristol competition last year.
She will now go head-to-head with about 50 other girls at the British finals, to be held in Birmingham on May 5.
The winner from that heat will then represent the UK at the international Miss Universe competition, which was started by Donald Trump in the 1950s.
You may also want to watch:
The former Clevedon School pupil of Ridgeway will be judged on her confidence, eloquence and likability.
She said: “I was surprised I got through as I am only 5ft 2ins. I am a little nervous.”
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 3 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 4 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 5 Special school expansion progress
- 6 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 7 Nailsea Cricket Club start senior nets for new season
- 8 North Somerset and Somerset libraries reopen this week
- 9 Families enjoy Easter donkey tale trail at church
- 10 Portishead coach firm launches post-lockdown getaways this summer
In the lead-up to the British finals Elizabeth will be raising money charity and also on the lookout for a sponsor.