Stage one success for pier funding bid
CLEVEDON Pier’s application for thousands of pounds in regeneration funding has sailed through the first stage of scrutiny.
The Clevedon Pier and Heritage Trust has submitted a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund for more than �600,000 to help pay for the creation of brand-new visitor facilities on the Grade I-listed pier.
If successful, the money will make up half of the amount needed to complete the project – the rest will be sought from charitable trusts and through fundraising initiatives.
The bid has been approved at the first assessment stage and will now go on to the final stage, with a decision due in September.
The new visitor centre will see a glass structure created at the land end of the Victorian pier, to include a tea room, toilets, upper viewing deck and education facilities.
You may also want to watch:
The two-storey creation will see the lower floor level located below the surface of the current ramp. The configuration of the current Toll House will also be altered.
Construction work is due to begin early next year.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 3 Village pub conversion rejected by council
- 4 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 5 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 6 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 7 Live music returns to village this weekend
- 8 WIN: Tickets to The Courier at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 9 Green light for active travel scheme
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
Members of the pier trust hope the new additions will generate enough extra income to cover the long term maintenance costs of the pier, which are currently paid for by North Somerset Council.
The pier trust has organised a number of fundraising initiatives for this year.
A photographic competition will close for entries on February 17
A Valentine’s evening from 6-8pm on February 14 will include wine, cheese, acoustic guitar music and a rose for each visiting couple. Tickets, priced �6.50, must be pre-booked by calling 01275 878846.
* For more details visit www.clevedonpier.com