Sod cut on youth centre project
WORK has begun on the final phase of the redevelopment of Portishead Youth Centre.
Young people and other supporters of the project cheered as contractors moved into the Harbour Road premises last week, to begin work on the transformation of the 1960s dated building and bring it into the 21st century.
Youngsters had prepared a time capsule to bury under the foundations of the new building works.
A new entrance and front extension will provide additional space inside, while giving the community facility a modern, appealing facelift.
The centre will be closed throughout the summer while the work continues but the activities will continue at temporary venues.
You may also want to watch:
Portishead Youth Club is now running at the St Barnabas Centre in West Hill Monday to Wednesday, with young people choosing alternative locations for Thursday night sessions.
Soft play and sticky fingers day time activities for pre-school children are currently running Monday to Friday mornings at the Guide Hut in Church Road North.
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 4 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 5 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 6 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 8 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
- 9 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 10 Protestors take to the streets against Bristol Airport