Sod cut on youth centre project
WORK has begun on the final phase of the redevelopment of Portishead Youth Centre.
Young people and other supporters of the project cheered as contractors moved into the Harbour Road premises last week, to begin work on the transformation of the 1960s dated building and bring it into the 21st century.
Youngsters had prepared a time capsule to bury under the foundations of the new building works.
A new entrance and front extension will provide additional space inside, while giving the community facility a modern, appealing facelift.
The centre will be closed throughout the summer while the work continues but the activities will continue at temporary venues.
You may also want to watch:
Portishead Youth Club is now running at the St Barnabas Centre in West Hill Monday to Wednesday, with young people choosing alternative locations for Thursday night sessions.
Soft play and sticky fingers day time activities for pre-school children are currently running Monday to Friday mornings at the Guide Hut in Church Road North.
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 3 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
- 4 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 5 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 6 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 7 How to order free Covid home tests
- 8 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 9 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 10 Health club thanks NHS workers with free memberships