Safety warning to marina swimmers
POLICE are warning people that swimming in Portishead Marina could end in tragedy.
The warm weather has led to an increase in people jumping into the marina and officers and PCSOs have been called to the waterside on several occasions, to remind people their safety is at risk.
PCSO Dawn Tremlett said: “The hot spell has led to a number of people, especially teenagers, swimming in the marina and I would urge people to think before they act.
“There are numerous risks, including pollution, the water temperature, disease and the presence of hidden obstructions beneath the surface.”
Marina manager Keith Berry added: “It is also dangerous because the sun reflecting on the water can sometimes prevent boat owners from seeing objects in the water, including swimmers who shouldn’t be there in the first place.”
You may also want to watch:
Portishead police say they will be patrolling the marina to help combat people putting themselves and others in danger.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 7 Special school expansion progress
- 8 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 9 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 10 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United