North Somerset schools receive £1,000 memorial donation
- Credit: Portishead Rotary Club
Schools across North Somerset will receive donations of £1,000 from the estate of Portishead Rotarian, Dennis Withers, who passed away in 2019.
With Dennis’ family's blessing, the money has been left to the Rotary Club to support pupils who have suffered under the strains of the Covid pandemic, as well as the Marie Curie charity.
He spent years raising funds for the Marie Curie charity to thank its staff for the care they provided for his late wife, Hilda.
Mr Withers' daughter, Sarah Sparey told the Times that he would be pleased to see the funds used for a good cause.
She said: "My father would be so pleased that the bequest will make a real difference to those children impacted by Covid and the lockdowns."
Portishead Primary, St Peters, St Joseph’s, High Down, St Mary’s Portbury, Mary Elton Clevedon, St Nicholas Chantry, Trinity Anglican Methodist, Crockerne, Tickenham Primary, St Katherine’s High, Ham Green and Gordano High will all receive a donation.
Each school regularly takes part in the rotary club's swimathon other fundraising competitions.
- 1 Parking restrictions plaguing Clevedon residents' everyday lives
- 2 WATCH: Stunning 40-yard 'goal of the season' for Clevedon Town earns praise from FIFA
- 3 Sainsbury's propose 9,000 sq.ft North Somerset store
- 4 Clevedon rated as one of the most desirable places to live in the UK
- 5 Cross-party support for Liam Fox's 'landmark' Downs Syndrome Bill
- 6 Glastonbury 2022: Who is confirmed and how do I get tickets?
- 7 Portishead teachers WILL strike over workload dispute
- 8 More than 2,500 new homes north of Banwell in Local Plan draft
- 9 Price's heroics secure Ashton & Backwell United successive wins
Dennis Withers helped found the Portishead Rotary Club in 1979 and remained a member until his death in 2019.