Rock school to be South West first
PORTISHEAD is to become the first town in the South West to host to a national rock school.
The Rock Project, which already operates successfully in other areas of the country, will open in the town in September.
The project will offer professional tuition in guitar, drums and bass to seven to 16-year-olds in two-hour, weekly sessions. It will also include plug-and-play jamming sessions, singing and quizzes to help teach music theory in a fun way.
Students will be able to work towards exams guided by the London Rock School syllabus, if they choose to.
The youngsters who sign up will be encouraged to form their own bands and at the end of the year a showcase will allow them to show off what they have learned to friends and family.
You may also want to watch:
The Rock Project will be run by Andy Collins who is returning to his home in Portishead this summer after nine years in the Royal Air Force.
Although classically trained in piano and clarinet, the aircraft engineer says he has always enjoyed listening to and playing rock music and one of his most memorable times is gigging around The Falkland Islands while completing a tour of duty.
- 1 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 4 Neighbourhood plan to go before council next month
- 5 Nailsea United fall to heavy defeat against Mendip Broadwalk
- 6 Age UK looking for North Somerset volunteers
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Portishead Art Trail splash sculpture gets a refurb
- 9 Light the Night celebration to take place in Clevedon
- 10 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
He added: “I love Portishead, so it was only a matter of time before I moved back home to be a full-time husband.
“I think The Rock Project is a fantastic new way for young people to enjoy learning an instrument in a fun, sociable and supportive environment.”
The Portishead Rock Project is the first of three Andy has planned for North Somerset. He hopes to open schools in Nailsea and Clevedon over the next year. Details of the Portishead venue will be released in July.
To find out more about The Rock Project email email@example.com or visit www.therockproject.com
Andy and his team will also have a stand at Portishead Flower Show & Country Fair in the show field in Clapton Lane on July 29 & 30.