Rock school to be South West first
PORTISHEAD is to become the first town in the South West to host to a national rock school.
The Rock Project, which already operates successfully in other areas of the country, will open in the town in September.
The project will offer professional tuition in guitar, drums and bass to seven to 16-year-olds in two-hour, weekly sessions. It will also include plug-and-play jamming sessions, singing and quizzes to help teach music theory in a fun way.
Students will be able to work towards exams guided by the London Rock School syllabus, if they choose to.
The youngsters who sign up will be encouraged to form their own bands and at the end of the year a showcase will allow them to show off what they have learned to friends and family.
You may also want to watch:
The Rock Project will be run by Andy Collins who is returning to his home in Portishead this summer after nine years in the Royal Air Force.
Although classically trained in piano and clarinet, the aircraft engineer says he has always enjoyed listening to and playing rock music and one of his most memorable times is gigging around The Falkland Islands while completing a tour of duty.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 4 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 7 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 8 Carpenter wants top Clevedon performance for President's Day
- 9 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 10 Save Weston Big Wood gatherings this weekend
He added: “I love Portishead, so it was only a matter of time before I moved back home to be a full-time husband.
“I think The Rock Project is a fantastic new way for young people to enjoy learning an instrument in a fun, sociable and supportive environment.”
The Portishead Rock Project is the first of three Andy has planned for North Somerset. He hopes to open schools in Nailsea and Clevedon over the next year. Details of the Portishead venue will be released in July.
To find out more about The Rock Project email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.therockproject.com
Andy and his team will also have a stand at Portishead Flower Show & Country Fair in the show field in Clapton Lane on July 29 & 30.