Review of the Year - May
Work under way on park facelift: A working party was set up to develop Brampton Way Community Park in Portishead. PCSO Dawn Tremlett led the initiative which involved new fencing, an urban art wall, planting and new play equipment. Residents, school children and community groups were involved in the project which was part funded by North Somerset Housing and North Somerset Council.
Curzon celebrates 99 years of films. The 99th birthday of Clevedon’s independent cinema was celebrated with balloons given to young cinema goers. The milestone was marked by staff at the community cinema in Old Church Road on April 20. Plans are underway to celebrate the Curzon’s centenary next year.
Arts extravaganza: Art lovers flocked to Nailsea to take part in the town’s music and arts festival. Artists, musicians and dancers filled the Tithe Barn, Holy Trinity Church and The Ring ‘O’ Bells, to put on performances and impressive displays. Literary fans also enjoyed poetry and stories at the weekend event organised by Nailsea Folk Club and sponsored by Nailsea Town Council.
Bid launched to get more families warm: A new scheme was launched in North Somerset to help families affected by rising energy costs. North Somerset Warm Families set up an advice project to help households with children under the age of 18 who are struggling to pay fuel bills. Trained energy advisors provide information on how to use energy more cost effectively and understand heating controls.
You may also want to watch:
Taking to the street after royal wedding: Celebrations held across North Somerset saw people getting in the royal spirit to celebrate the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Bunting and Union Jacks were hung out for street parties, barbecues and community gatherings, with all generations getting together to mark the occasion.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week