Review of the Year - March
Sergeant to take on two towns after police cuts: As part of cuts being made by Avon and Somerset police, Clevedon and Nailsea were made to share a sergeant. The towns had previously had their own two dedicated sergeants, who also covered the surrounding villages. Following the move, Sergeant Jon Simons shared his time between the two.
Asda on way to town: Asda announced plans to open a store in Clevedon after reaching an agreement with the owners of Focus DIY and Gardening to take over the site it occupied in Strode Road. Focus DIY had agreed to assign the lease of six of its stores in the UK to Asda. The move meant this would be the fourth supermarket to open in Clevedon.
U-turn on allotment fees: Nailsea Town Council scrapped plans to increase allotment rents by almost 400 per cent after admitting it made a mistake. Scores of angry allotment tenants attended a meeting to urge the authority, which runs two allotment sites in Nailsea, to reconsider the sharp increase.
Baby makes it a birthday hat-trick: A Portishead family defied the odds to have a son, father and grandfather all born on the same day. Callum Kai Worthington arrived on March 15, which is also the birthday of his dad Scott and granddad Tony. It was thought the odds of that happening could be placed at about 272,000 to one.
You may also want to watch:
Showcase of activities for everyone: A community showcase at Nailsea School saw people flock to the site to find out more about what the town has to offer. More than 30 community groups, club and charities took part in the event to boost people’s awareness of their work.
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 3 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 4 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 5 Special school expansion progress
- 6 Nailsea Cricket Club start senior nets for new season
- 7 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 8 North Somerset and Somerset libraries reopen this week
- 9 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
- 10 Families enjoy Easter donkey tale trail at church