Review of the year - June
School bans skirts after girls flout uniform rules: Nailsea School announced that wearing skirts would be banned from September. Governors made the decision following concerns girls were not adhering to uniform policy and were wearing their skirts too short. They heard from students, parents and staff before voting in favour of the ban.
Parish gets more power: Backwell Parish Council was chosen as one of 31 councils across the country to pilot the Neighbourhood Planning Vanguards Scheme. The scheme, part of the Government’s Big Society vision to give neighbourhood groups more say, will give the council more influence on planning matters.
Times is the tops – official: The Nailsea, Clevedon & Portishead Times was named the best free weekly newspaper in the South West. Your local paper was awarded the title at a presentation of the EDF Energy South West media Awards for 2011, beating off competition from papers from Gloucester to Cornwall. The award judges said the Times has ‘that little bit more of everything – news, sport and reader interaction’.
Picturesque parade: Scores of villagers from Pill and Easton in Gordano took to the streets for the annual rag event. A fancy dress procession through both villages resulted in the presentation of cups and prizes for those who were dressed to impress. The final of Pill’s Got Talent and the crowning of the Rag king and queen added to the day’s events.
You may also want to watch:
Portishead carnival goers refused to let rain dampen their spirits as thousands lined the streets for the town’s annual event. More than 20 vibrant floats and walking parties followed a marching band through the streets to the carnival field packed with entertainment, stalls and fairground rides.
- 1 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 4 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 5 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 6 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 7 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 8 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 9 Clevedon return to top of WEPL table with win over Lansdown
- 10 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse