Review of the Year - January
Police station is to close down enquiry office: Avon and Somerset police chiefs revealed the public enquiry office at Portishead Police Station was to be closed from June. The force said the decision had been made as a result of more people using its website or the telephone to contact officers. As a result, the station was to become an appointment-only facility.
Traders offer to deliver: Traders in Portishead’s High Street offered to deliver goods to customers after the road was shut for major improvements. Business owners in the street saw trade dramatically slump while resurfacing work took place. Town leaders and the chamber of commerce urged residents to support the traders during the difficult time.
Police could lock away bikes to keep pupils safe: Members of Clevedon’s police team warned Clevedon School pupils they could have their bikes confiscated if they were caught riding in an unsafe manner to and from school. As part of efforts to encourage pupils to ride safely, the school introduced a cycling policy. This was introduced after complaints were received about the way some pupils rode their bikes near cars and pedestrians.
Old house now a new centre of attention: Nailsea Baptist Church celebrated the official opening of its new facility – The Centre in Silver Street. Formally the home of the town council, the church took over the building after the authority decided to move to the Tithe Barn. The Centre was to be used for coffee mornings, lunch clubs, a film club and many more activities.
You may also want to watch:
First day back at school has the WOW factor: Pupils at St Peter’s Primary School in Portishead returned to lessons after the Christmas break to take part in a Wow day. Based around the project of exploring, the day saw pupils dress in international costume.
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 3 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 4 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 5 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 6 Health club thanks NHS workers with free memberships
- 7 How to order free Covid home tests
- 8 Cleeve claim friendly win at Hambrook
- 9 Portishead furniture maker features in new BBC TV series
- 10 Barclays to close North Somerset branches