Review of the Year - December
Thieves hitting the roof: Lead thieves targeted churches, schools and businesses in Nailsea, prompting police to warn residents to be on their guard. With scrap metal trading becoming a growing money-maker for criminals, people were advised to be vigilant and consider installing CCTV and security lights as a preventative measure.
Garden centre job loss shock: More than 30 employees of a North Somerset garden centre firm were made redundant after the company went into administration. Wheatfields Park ran Roundtrees Garden Centres in Tickenham and Congresbury along with Blagdon Water Gardens. Staff, who had only been paid 10 per cent of their monthly wages since October, turned up to work one morning to be told they would be made immediately redundant.
Delight as railway station’s ramps look right on track: Campaigners’ calls for ramps to be installed at Nailsea and Backwell Railway Station were answered with the announcement the Government had pledged �1million to the project. Residents, along with Backwell Access Group, had been campaigning for ramps to be installed to allow disabled people and those with pushchairs to easily access the station’s platforms.
Working party created to find skate park site: A decision to refuse permission for Portishead Skatepark Project (PSP) to create a facility at the town’s Lake Grounds prompted town councillors to vow they will help search for an alternative site. However, PSP members called for the decision to refuse consent at the Lake Grounds to be called in for analysis by a North Somerset Council panel.
You may also want to watch:
Performers at Clevedon School put on their own modern version of The Wizard of Oz to audiences of friends, family and teachers. The youngsters were involved in all aspects of the show, entitled The Wiz, including acting, lighting and special effects.
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 3 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 4 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 5 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 6 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 7 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 8 Ashton & Backwell United bow out of Buildbase FA Vase after Bemerton Heath Harlequins defeat
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 10 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront