Review of the Year - August
Bus cuts – you choose: North Somerset Council announced it was looking to cut a whopping �440,000 from its �1.1million budget it spends on subsidising bus services every year. As part of efforts to slash millions of pounds in spending, the unitary authority held a consultation to find out which services people used and why, before making cuts in the next financial year.
Golfer’s 800-mile trip to honour a pint golfing bet: Sebastian Steinzen spent a week in North Somerset trying to track down a man to whom he owed a pint. The golf enthusiast travelled from Germany to find the man he simply knew as Patrick from Portishead, who he met during a holiday in Mallorca six years earlier. He lost a bet to him on the golf course but never had the chance to buy him the pint he owed him.
Villagers’ shock as only bank announces closure: Residents and business owners in Backwell were left outraged after HSBC announced it would be closing its bank in the village. As the only bank in Backwell, people were left concerned about those unable to travel to other towns to sort their finances. HSBC said residents could use a new state-of-the-art branch in Nailsea instead.
Search for new post office site: It was revealed the Post Office would begin a search for a site to open a second facility in Portishead. The town only has one Post Office counter, based in a High Street convenience store, which regularly fills with long queues of waiting customers. The Post Office said it was looking for a venue within the Village Quarter or Port Marine developments.
You may also want to watch:
Crowds flock to Clevedon show: The annual Clevedon Flower Show and Festival saw hundreds of people enter the wealth of horticulture, craft and children’s classes. The Salthouse Fields were awash with revellers for the two-day event which also included a dog show, live music and a motorcycle display.
- 1 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 2 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 3 Conservative named as Avon and Somerset police and crime commissioner
- 4 Boy, 17, 'with machete' arrested in village
- 5 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected
- 6 Nailsea & Backwell enjoy return to rugby action
- 7 May 17: Museums gear up to reopen in North Somerset next week
- 8 Yatton Bowling Club getting more youngsters involved
- 9 May 17: What can't open when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 10 LOCAL ELECTIONS: Who you can vote for in the by-election tomorrow