Resort ready for television stardom
- Credit: Angie Smith
A TV drama shot in Clevedon and Portishead, starring a cast full of well-known actors, will be aired on ITV from Monday.
The eight-part show entitled Broadchurch was shot between August and December and used numerous areas in the towns as integral locations throughout.
The story centres on a police investigation into the murder of 11-year-old Danny Latimer in a fictitious Dorset town called Broadchurch.
David Tennant and Olivia Colman star as the officers tasked with looking into the crime and they are accompanied by a cast of several well-known actors.
Writer Chris Chibnall describes the series as a drama about a community racked by grief and suspicion. A ‘whodunnit, packed with suspects’.
You may also want to watch:
It was shot between locations in North Somerset and Dorset.
In Clevedon, the former Seeley’s Newsagent in Hill Road was adapted to become the office of the local newspaper and Hill Road itself was used as Broadchurch High Street.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 7 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
A number of scenes were also shot in the West End area of the town, including at Marshall’s Field, St Andrew’s Church and at homes in St Andrew’s Drive and Lavington Close.
Also among those locations used in Clevedon was Alexandra News in Alexandra Road.
Angie Smith, who has owned the shop with her husband Robert for five years, said: “They were filming over about three weeks. It was absolutely brilliant.
“We sat and had lunch with them all - it was just like being with friends.
“The cast were so down to earth and David Tennant was really interested in finding out about our lives.
“He was shocked that we never take a holiday because we are running the shop so he actually offered to come down and run it for us sometime.
“Once the series has aired, I do intend to write to him to ask if does want to.
“Before they left, David Tennant gave me a huge hug and said thank you for all we had done for them.”
The inside of Alexandra News was used as the interior of a newsagent run by a character called Jack Marshall who employed the victim, Danny, as a paper boy before his death.
Jack is played by the actor David Bradley, who is well-known for his role as the caretaker Argus Filch in the long-running series of Harry Potter films.
The programme also stars well-known faces from the TV world including Pauline Quirk most famed for her role in Birds of a Feather, Vicky McClure who has starred in This is England and the 2012 BBC2 series Line of Duty, Andrew Buchan who has starred in The Fixer and Garrow’s Law, and Will Mellor who is well-known for his roles in Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps and Waterloo Road.
Broadchurch will be screened on ITV from Monday at 9pm.
* For more pictures from the filming of Broadchurch click on the gallery link at the top of this story.