Preparations for swimming season
- Credit: Archant
VOLUNTEERS are rolling up their sleeves at Portishead Open Air Pool in preparation for the new 2013 season.
In addition to the usual winter maintenance, the ladies’ showers are being upgraded and new flooring will be applied in the changing room corridor.
A rolling programme involves a section of the 50-year-old paving slabs being replaced each year, but this year, thanks to a grant from Portishead Town Council, an area more than twice the size of that originally planned is being replaced.
A pool spokesman said: “More slabs than we thought possible can be replaced this year thanks to £3,000 from Portishead Town Council, which has unfailingly supported the pool since the original campaign in 2008 to save it from closure.
“Previous grants have helped pay for the pool cover and the refurbished toddler pool.”
You may also want to watch:
A non slip-surface is also being laid on one side of the pool.
Ahead of the new season, trustees have appointed new full time manager, Natasha Sparey, who has worked in the leisure industry since leaving school.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 5 Nailsea & Tickenham maintain unbeaten start with comfortable win over Chard
- 6 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 7 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 8 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 9 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
The 26-year-old worked her way up from lifeguard and swimming teacher to become assistant pool manager at a holiday park with a pool complex that holds up to 500 swimmers. She says she is thrilled to be working at the Open Air Pool and has lots of ideas for extending the range of activities on offer.
The 2013 season is due to begin on April 20.
The pool trust has this year unveiled a brand new website at www.portisheadopenairpool.org.uk that includes an up-to-date daily timetable which is also part of the free Splashpath app for smartphones and tablets.
Twitter fans will be able to tweet direct from the website and also post comments on the site blog, which will appear on the pool’s Facebook page.