Potentially harmful algae at Portishead Lake Grounds

PUBLISHED: 16:41 30 July 2015 | UPDATED: 16:41 30 July 2015

People are being asked to avoid the water at Portishead Lake Grounds.

People are being asked to avoid the water at Portishead Lake Grounds.

Archant

Potentially harmful blue-green algae has been found at Portishead Lake Grounds.

Warning notices are going to be put up at the picturesque open space to warn people not to enter the water, or let their pets go in.

Toxins produced by the naturally-occurring algae ‘can kill wild animals, farm livestock and domestic pets’, according to North Somerset Council. In humans, toxins can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

The blue-green algae was confirmed by the Environment Agency and has increased due to recent weather conditions.

Cllr Peter Bryant, North Somerset Council executive member for environment, said: “We are putting up warning notices around the lake to tell people that the algae can be harmful.

“They should not go in the water or allow their pets to do so.

“We are using the recognised method of dealing with the algae by putting barley straw into the water.

“This is what we did last year and it was successful in combatting the algae. This could this will take several weeks to have an effect.”

The blue-green algae can look like jelly, paint or form in small clumps.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times