Celebrate salt marsh day in Portishead this summer
- Credit: Alan Harrison
An environmental conservation organisation is celebrating the salt marshes of a North Somerset town next month.
Portishead Salt Marshes is dedicating an event to the wetlands in the town on August 14.
The organisation says not only do the salt marshes protect and support wildlife in Portishead, but they are also great carbon stores, absorb the impact of waves and are unique environments for endangered species.
At Portishead Salt Marsh day, there will be talks about the wetlands in the town, as well as an art show, saving the curlew, children’s activities and storytelling.
As part of the salt marsh art show, the conservation organisation is inviting people to send in sketches, paintings, prints, collages, poems, textile, embroidery etc on the theme of salt marshes to display at the exhibition.
The event will take place in Portishead alongside the path between the Marina and Portbury Wharf Nature Reserve on August 14 from 11am-5pm.
For more information about submitting salt marsh sketches to be displayed at the exhibition, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Portishead Salt Marshes Facebook page.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 6 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'